Q: is it my rear end or transmission

I'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden it's like my rear end or transmission disengages and it'll rev up but when If I just coast for a second then it'll engage again then it'll do it all over again

A: This problem is not in the rear end, but in...

This problem is not in the rear end, but inside the transmission. The transmission is not engaging the gear at the moment that you are losing gear engagement. The most common cause of this is the transmission shift solenoids in the transmission are sticking or loosing electrical contact in the harness of the transmission. You will need to have the transmission computer engine control module (ECM) scanned for codes and the transmission pressures monitored to see which solenoid is trying to engage at the time it goes to a neutral state and isolate the problem to be a solenoid or wiring as both of these are possibilities. If you need assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to inspect your vehicle's transmission and diagnose your this issue.