Q: Intermittently, car has high-pitched screeching in area of wheels

Sometimes (an intermittent problem) something begins to have a high-pitched screeching sound. It seems to be coming from the wheels or in that area. And happens when I’m driving 50 mph or higher (for 1-2 minutes). This happens only at the higher speeds, so it’s difficult to trigger in on the sound. Once the screeching starts, the sound will only go away after I come to a complete stop and that also happens only most of the time. If I accelerate or decelerate, the noise doesn’t change, but when I turn the steering wheel in a particular location (about 15 degrees either way) then the screeching does change. Also, pressing on the brakes slightly muffles the screeching, but only slightly. My brake pads are not worn down to the indicator. Can you give me your professional experience with this kind of thing and what will fix it?

A: Hello. Your problem is likely due to abnorm...

Hello. Your problem is likely due to abnormal wear on the pads or rotors. If there are grooves or pits in the pads or rotors a noise may develop but the noise may not always be present. There’s also a possibility that one of your brake hardware components are sliding out of place and scraping against a moving surface. I suggest having your braking system inspected by a technician to find the exact cause of the noise.