Q: Interior lights will not shut off

The interior lights in the vehicle have not turned on for several weeks. Now, they will not shut off. After starting the car, I had to drive home with the interior lights on and they will not turn off upon shutting off and exiting the vehicle.

There are two possibilities that can cause the problem you describe. One of the door ajar switches first may not work when you open the door, making contact and signaling the body control module to turn on the interior lights. This would result in the switch being stuck on signaling the body module to keep the light on. The switch is most likely the driver’s door switch or latch sticking.

The other possible problem is the body control module itself. A simple test of the module and looking at the door switches will tell you if a door switch or the module is the problem. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose your interior lights issue and perform the right repairs.

3. Interior lights will not shut off