Q: Will broken Axel Rings Cause check engine to go on?

asked by on June 19, 2016

Quick Question, Hope someone can advice. I've been dealing with a Check Engine Light for ever. I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD 2.7. The code is a PO501 (Vehicle Speed Sensor) However Speedometer works fine.

I brought it into the dealership and they informed me that because the Axel Ring was missing on my front right and broken on my front left, it's making the sensors not work the way it should.

My actual mechanic says typically those Axel Rings are for the ABS and shouldn't give that code. Has anyone heard of this.

I will say, my mechanic who is generally incredible spent a number of days trying to figure this out, checked the VSS, etc to no result.

He's going to fix the issue the dealership said but isn't hopeful that will fix the check engine light (So I can pass emissions)

Any ideas?

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it is very possible that the computer is performing a rationality test by comparing the inputs from VSS and ABS wheel speed sensors (WSS). When it doesn’t see the results it expects, it sets the P0501. VSS signal is for the speedometer on your Hyundai, but the RF WSS signal is needed for the Engine Control Module. You need both! So yes, have a mechanic replace those wheel speed sensors. As an added benefit, your ABS will be operational again.