Q: engine ticking, constant light white smoke out one side of exhaust

asked by on February 01, 2017

Hi, I have a 350 small block that has a ticking noise (not a knock) on the right side kind of sounds like a lifter ticking. and also a constant but light white smoke coming out only on the right exhaust (dual exhaust). This started after I took it to a shop and they put synthetic oil in it, the truck had been sitting for awhile before hand. Not sure how to go about it or what could be wrong?

Hi there. I highly doubt that the change to synthetic oil is causing the white smoke. In most cases, this is due to valve guides that are worn down or piston rings that are faulty. It’s also common when coolant finds a way into the block for white smoke to blow from the exhaust. If you’re hearing a ticking noise, it’s more than likely valve guides that are damaged.