Q: Noisy aircon

When aircon system had new compressor fitted system became noisy. If system regassed noise disappears for few weeks then returns. Small leake not yet found. Could loss of gas be causing noise?

A: Hi there. Yes, a low refrigerant charge in ...

Hi there. Yes, a low refrigerant charge in the a/c system can cause the a/c compressor to make noise. The R-134a refrigerant is what carries the PAG oil throughout the a/c system. A low system charge, results in a lack of lubrication to the a/c compressor. Continued use with a low system charge, results in a/c compressor failure. There is a low pressure switch in the system, designed to prevent compressor engagement when the refrigerant level is too low. The small leak needs to be identified and repaired. I recommend having your vehicle’s noisy a/c compressor be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.