Q: In park, the engine just keeps revving.

asked by on October 30, 2016

Car is usually dead the alarm goes off for no reason and kills the battery then after new spark plugs oil change air filter and serpentine belt the car all of a sudden just starts reving by itself when its in park and also when i push on the gas it wont go past 2k rpms when it gets over idling by itself it idles good but i can revv past 2k pem when i drive it revvs consistantly to 500 to 2000 rpms and im basically jerking back and fourth what is my problem.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There is an issue with the security system. The security is active and needs to be disabled. If the security is active, then the engine will act out and have a low rpm outcome. This prevents anyone from driving the vehicle fast for when it is stolen.

To manually reset the security, remove the battery’s negative and positive posts for 12 minutes. Then reconnect the posts and put the key in the door and manually unlock and lock the vehicle 3 times. This will reset the system. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist you with your vehicle.