Q: What are the signs of brake wear?

What are the signs of brake wear?

Your car has four-wheel disc brakes, which means that each wheel has a rotor and brake pads. There are no drum brakes on your car. In addition, your pads have what are called “audible wear indicators” or “squealers”.

These are nothing more than small metal tabs designed to contact the surface of the rotor when the pads wear down. The squealing sound alerts you that you need to have your pads replaced.

You may hear other sounds as well. Some squeaking is normal even with good brake pads. However, a grinding noise is a sign that your pads may have worn out. Have your pads inspected at each service to ensure they’re replaced on time.