Q: idle is high after driving

i am stumped as to why my 92 ford explorer idles very high after driving it. upon startup, it will idle around 500-700 rpm. after i drive it for any fair amount of time (5 miles or more), i will shift into park and the idle goes up to around 1000-1200 rpm. just did an oil change recently, brand new spark plugs, checked pcv valve (still good). no vacuum leaks. what could be the issue?

Hey there. Normally a vacuum leak is the most common cause of a high idle but many issues may cause this. Other possible causes of a high idle are improper sensor inputs, an idle air control valve, a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor, a stuck throttle body, a throttle body cable stuck, a bad power steering pressure sensor, AC high pressure sensor or a problem with the ECT (electric control transmission).

As you can see, many different systems cause a high idle condition. With the high idle not occurring until after the vehicle has been heated up, it appears there may be a heat related fault such a sensor reading improperly once it gets hot, or an intermittent issue with the IAC sticking sometimes. A complete inspection will be the easiest way to diagnose your high engine idle.