Q: I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna xle that stalled while driving. For a few days prior I heard a squealing sound coming from the engine

asked by on March 25, 2017

The problem began with a squealing sound at start up, I thought it was a loose belt and decided to look into it when I had more time. I then saw the oil warning light come on briefly, as well as a "VSC and traction control light too. I took it in for an oil change, but the oil light came on again shortly after leaving the service station, so I assumed it might be a glitch reading. Coming down the freeway at 70+ miles an hour, however, all of the warning lights came on simultaneously and the vehicle stalled. Total loss of power except for the warning lights. I could not restart it after that and it only makes a whirring sound when I try. A code I was able to extract before all heck broke loose was:P0346, but I'm not sure it relates.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The OBD-II trouble code you listed, P0346 is an indication of an issue with the crankshaft position sensor. When this component fails, it will cause the ignition timing system to operate incorrectly, and can be the source of your engine dying. However, the concern I have is the amount of warning lights coming on at the same time, as they are not typically indications of crankshaft position sensor problems. The best recommendation I would offer you is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection first. This will allow them to download all stored error codes to determine what needs to be replaced to resolve your Toyota’s starting problems.