Q: Oil leak and cracked timing chain cover

Took for oil change, has been leaking since, had someone just look under the hood and their findings are a cracked timing chain cover. Could this have happened when I had my oil changed? Will the manufacturer warranty cover this if that's the true problem?

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The best thing to do is give your engine compartment a really good cleanse - top and bottom. Now you will be able to inspect and see where the leak is coming from.

As far as if the timing belt cover being cracked - the oil filter is on the driver’s side to the rear of the engine, so there really is no way that changing the oil filter would crack the timing belt cover. You will have to check with the specific in your warranty to see if that would be covered. If you would like to have this done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to pinpoint the oil leak and inspect the timing chain cover. From there, they can proceed with appropriate repairs.

3. Oil leak and cracked timing chain cover