Q: If my check engine light comes on, does it limit my cars power. My codes says it’s my fuel pressure regulator

asked by on February 15, 2018

My cars check engine light came on and the code was the fuel pressure regulator. I feel a loss of power. Do cars normally lose power automatically when the check engine comes on or is it just my fpr.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There are hundreds of individual OBD-II trouble codes any one of which can cause illumination of the check engine light. The vast majority of the codes do not reflect, or refer to, conditions that cause marked loss of vehicle power. With regard to the code or codes that implicate the fuel pressure regulator, please understand that a diagnostic trouble code NEVER represents or constitutes a diagnostic of the actual vehicle fault. That means that your fuel pressure regulator might be perfectly good. Consider a scenario where your fuel filter is dirty and thus obstructed; that can cause a loss of fuel pressure. The fuel pressure regulator might then be operating outside the range that the vehicle computer expects to see. There is no code for a plugged fuel filter but there is one (in your case) for out of range pressure. The point is OBD-II codes represent diagnostic clues but inasmuch as a diagnostic must still be performed, in part relying on the clues, you can’t just just go out and buy and install parts just because the code refers to them. In your circumstance, to learn exactly what is wrong with your car, please request a check engine light diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will read the codes and then test actual parts, that is perform a diagnostic, to find the fault and get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.