Q: I think we need to replace the positive battery cable and contact.

My son is home from college. He has had this issue for weeks. The car starts "randomly". I replaced the positive connector on the battery cable, but now the connector SPARKS and the car won't start. It starts randomly, but not every time we try to start it. Also, I'm not sure if it's a 2L or a 9L. He has taken the car to the repair shop twice, but they can't find the problem.

Hello. From what you describe it seems that there’s some sort of intermittent electrical issue. Bad battery cables can cause the symptoms you are experiencing, so I recommend inspecting and replacing them if they are corroded or worn. A few other things to check would be the engine starter and the ignition switch, as those can also produce the same symptoms. If you need assistance, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can inspect your vehicle’s starting issues at your home or office.

3. I think we need to replace the positive battery cable and contact.