Q: Car goes into reverse, but not drive

asked by on February 12, 2016

My car will go into reverse, but it will not go into drive.

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi. There are a few things to check before condemning the transmission. Check the fluid level. The shifter linkage, and for trouble codes. There are not any electronics involved in reverse. If all that is ok, most likely it will need rebuilt or replaced. There are shops that specialize in transmission repair, or replace it with a used or remanufactured one, depending on your budget. YourMechanic can diagnose the shifting issue for you, but does not perform replacement or repair if needed.