Q: I shift car in reverse and will go into drive but haft to rev a few times for it to engage

It shifts fine once you get it to go in drive but when u slowdown to about 10 to 5 miles an hour it shifts in neutral and has to rev it again to get it back into drive I can't shift in reverse at all

Unfortunately, this generation Taurus is notorious for automatic transmission failure, even more so because it’s a pre-1996. 1996 models and later had an update and upgrade to the most common internal failure part. Most transmissions from the 1995 and earlier models failed before 100k miles.

I would start by checking the transmission fluid level when the car is warm, with the engine running in park. If the fluid level is ok, you should get a quote for the cost of replacing the transmission completely, as this is the most likely cause based on the symptoms. Any repairs short of a full rebuild would act as a bandage, only extending the life minimally.

Consider getting your car inspected in person if you’d like a second opinion on this. A technician from YourMechanic can come to you and diagnose your shifting issue firsthand. Good luck.

3. I shift car in reverse and will go into drive but haft to rev a few times for it to engage