Q: I recently had my yearly safety car inspection. What does it mean when it says that there is “exhaust leak under cab”?

I recently had my yearly safety inspection on my car at a Jiffy Lube. The young guy who cashed me out was not the normal person I’ve seen and didn’t explain issues like they normally do. It failed on a few issues. I originally was just asking about one issue but I’ll list them all in case they’re connected somehow and would help in fixing things. It says that the Exhaust system failed because of “exhaust leak under cab”, and the Brakes section failed because of “right rear wheel cylinder leaking” and “contaminated rear shoes”. What does all this mean? I’m okay when it comes to cars but I’ve never had these issues before now. Also, my car doesn’t get driven very often, but it is under a car port overhang all the time. Any advice would be much appreciated. I have limited funds. I need your help!

"Cab" is an abbreviation of "cabin" where cabin refers to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. An exhaust leak under "cab" means that just beneath the passenger compartment floor there is a leak in the exhaust pipe or an exhaust connection. Exhaust leaks can be deadly, due to the presence of carbon monoxide, and a fault like that should be fixed immediately. The brake wheel cylinder contains brake fluid. If the seals in that cylinder leak, brake fluid can flow out onto the brake shoes which have friction material bonded to them. If the friction material on the brake shoes get contaminated with that fluid, the effectiveness of the braking system is reduced (i.e., you will longer stopping distances). A leak at even one wheel cylinder also raises the possibility of inadequate fluid in the system and the possibility of air entrained in the brake system which will further degrade the performance of the brakes. Both the exhaust and brake system issues can be promptly resolved by a certified mechanic from YourMechanic on a mobile basis, right at your location, thus saving you considerable money. If you desire to go that route, please simply call 1-844-249-6752 for service. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. I recently had my yearly safety car inspection. What does it mean when it says that there is “exhaust leak under cab”?