Q: I recently had my egr valve replaced through yourmechanic, and the check engine light has been off since. The check engine light

asked by on February 13, 2018

I had my egr valve replaced through yourmechanic about a month and a half ago. The check engine light turned off and I passed emissions, but the light turned back on 2 days ago. Is there anything I can do through yourmechanic since I had the problem fixed 1 month ago? Thank you, Chantel.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Chantel: A big uncertainty in trying to answer your question is I do not know if the present codes, that have caused the check engine light to illuminate, are the "same" as the original codes from January and thus, for example, whether there is even a "possibility" that a repair you may have purchased in January to resolve the "original" codes has "failed". In your particular circumstance, the best thing to do is request a check engine light diagnostic. Based on your original paperwork (documentation of repairs/parts installed), what will happen is the mechanic, in the course of evaluating the present codes, will definitely determine if "covered repairs" (from January) are PRESENTLY at issue, that is if a present failure relates back to the specific work you requested and paid for back in January. Obviously, the only way to accomplish that is to get your present circumstance, that is the present codes/faults, diagnosed. Put most simply, if any work performed in January has "failed" (under the warranty terms) then yes you would be covered. If the issue you are facing now is new though, although there would obviously not be an applicable warranty, the mechanic will absolutely identify and resolve the new issue for you. Check your gas cap! If the cap is loose, that is a very common cause of the check engine light coming on! For further background, you can peruse the complete terms of the Warranty Document. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr