Q: I put my vehicle into 4WD and heard a grinding noise. I took it out and put it in 2WD and It started to make some noise.

I put my Dodge ram 1500 in 4*4 and heard grinding. I put it in 2wd and the grinding stopped but soon after a noise developed. Im going to dig into it tomorrow and I am trying to decide if its locked up hubs, if the transfer case is also an issue, a bad bearing?

A: Hi there. Jack up the vehicle and put it o...

Hi there. Jack up the vehicle and put it on jack stands. Make sure that all 4 wheels are off the ground. Put the transfer case in 4WD, the transmission in drive, and let off the brake. Check to see if the front wheels are turning. If the front wheels are not turning, then check the front drive shaft and see if its turning. If the drive shafts front and rear are turning and the hubs are lock and the front wheels are not turning, then the front hubs are damaged. If the front drive shaft does not turn on 4WD and the grinding noise is coming from that area, then the chain could be broken, or the clutch slider could be stripped inside the transfer case. If you need further assistance with your transfer case making noises, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.