Q: I over-topped off my gas at fillups from 0 miles to about 170k miles, before realizing that it was stupid. Damage assessment?

With every fill-up for 170,000 miles I kept pumping gas past the cutoff until it would just begin to spill out. Then I found out that I probably destroyed my vaccuum canister as well as other items, based on stuff I read on the internet. So I no longer do that. My car seems to run fine but I'm wondering if I am going to have to pay the piper. Perhaps fumes are getting into my cabin (I sometimes think I smell it, but not sure). Plus, maybe it might fail smog down the road due to possible damage to the emissions system? If there is damage, what do you think it will cost to fix it? Could it have damaged my cat? I have had the check engine light go on and off but I just found another potential reason for that and have just fixed it, so we'll see if the light comes back on.

Not much damage will result in this event. The only thing that will happen is the fuel may leak out the run off tube and cause an external leak as the little run off hose is rarely used. In that case, you would only have to replace the rubber run off hose. If you need further assistance with your fuel system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I over-topped off my gas at fillups from 0 miles to about 170k miles, before realizing that it was stupid. Damage assessment?