Q: I need to replace the crankshaft sensor. Where is it located in the motor?

asked by on October 31, 2016

I have the engine lite on and the code is P0017 is said to change the crankshaft position sensor I have the part need to know where it is.

Hello. Carbon buildup and other issues can cause these sensors to fail prematurely.

You will need to raise the vehicle to access the sensor best. Once below the right, or passenger, side of the vehicle, you will want to look towards the back of the engine, around the exhaust manifold. There will be a cover around the sensor. You will need to remove the shell with a flat head screw driver or other tool. Do this gently, so you do not damage the cover.

You may need to remove the sensor in a different position than you removed the cover. The area is compact and hard to manipulate. Once you have exposed the sensor, you will unplug the wiring terminal from it and then you can remove the sensor. There is likely a small retaining bolt.

If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to replace your crankshaft position sensor. Best of luck.