Q: I need to replace my thermostat and crossover pipe on Audi q7 2011 with supercharger and the dealership wants to replace the water

My car gave the warning the other day to pull over because the engine was overheating. Had it towed to the dealership and they said that I need to replace the Thermostat and crossover pipe. They also indicated that we should change out the water pump since we were in the "general area". There is nothing wrong with the water pump, why would I replace it? Is this standard practice when your thermostat goes bad?

Hey there. You are correct. There is no reason to replace the water pump when it is not bad yet. The water pump seal was overheated when it got hot it may have run dry though and may fail sooner than normal. The water pump says it takes 2.2 hours to change. You would be getting a discount since the belt and pulley will already be off to replace crossover pipe and thermostat. If this were done, I would say approximately 1.5 hours plus the water pump part should be added to the parts and labor of the other work being done. If you are looking for other options, you could have the thermostat and water pump replaced (or both) at your home or office by a certified professional from YourMechanic.

3. I need to replace my thermostat and crossover pipe on Audi q7 2011 with supercharger and the dealership wants to replace the water