I'm trying to purchase an "EcoPlug" for my stripped out d...

Q: I'm trying to purchase an "EcoPlug" for my stripped out drain plug. How do you determine if your oil pan is aluminum or steel?

asked by on May 22, 2017

I'm trying to purchase an "EcoPlug" for my stripped out oil drain plug instead of having to replace the oil pan itself. How do you determine if your oil pan is aluminum or steel? They have different types based on the material of the oil pan. I have placed a magnet on the oil pan and it stuck, but the only replacement oil pans from VW are aluminum.

VW may be making the replacement oil pans from aluminum for weight and/or cost savings . If the magnet is sticking to your oil pan, then it is steel as a magnet will not stick to aluminum. Hope this helps.