Q: 2006 ford explorer 4.0 overheated!

2006 ford explorer 4.0 overheated! Started twice afterwards bit won't start now after replacing thermostat housing. No signs of water on oil buy water steam coming out of muffler or exhaust I should say. Is it possible that it's just a intake issue? Hope so!

Hi There, Steam coming from the exhaust may or may not be a sign of a blown head gasket depending on how severe it is. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber, which may be producing the steam from the exhaust you are describing. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

3. 2006 ford explorer 4.0 overheated!