Q: I just put a junkyard transmission in my truck when I pulled the dipstick out before starting it it doesn't register should the fl

asked by on August 11, 2017

I just put a junkyard transmission in my truck how much transmission fluid should I put in it before I start it and warm it up if it's not registering on the dipstick

You said your vehicle has a manual transmission but I think you meant to say automatic transmission. You should make sure your transmission is filled before you start it with one quart at a time until you see some indication on the dipstick of fluid. Use only Mercon V or VI fluid. Once you see some fluid register then start and move through the gears and back to park and then fill until the full cold line marks fluid on it. Sometimes the transmission may have been drained at the used parts place. You may need up to 12 quarts of fluid to fill it.