Q: Charging system warning light.

asked by on December 30, 2016

i jump started a car both sides cable wss fine car started no problem but now i have battery light on any ideas

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote

Hi There, This may be a sign of a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. The alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.