Q: I hear a clunk when putting my 2003 Honda Accord LX in reverse and drive

asked by on February 02, 2018

Today I accidentally put Dexron instead of Dexron 3 into my transmission, well when I put the car in reverse or drive, I hear a clunk. I’m not really sure if I’m just noticing the sound now because I’m paranoid and if done that the whole time I’ve had the vehicle or if the Dexron fluid is causing this. By the way I only topped my transmission fluid off with 2 qts.

It sounds like your vehicle may be a bit low on transmission fluid or you may potentially have a bad transmission control solenoid. As you know, the transmission works on hydraulic pressure built up from the fluid inside and uses this pressure to activate solenoids that cause the transmission to shift. When these are not working properly or when you have low transmission fluid, this does not happen which usually results in erratic shifting patterns, a jerking reaction or in some cases no shifting at all. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.