Q: I have the regular dual clutch automatic in a 2016 Ford Focus 2.0 and my question is: Can I engage the "downhill" button while accelerating?

I have the regular Dual Clutch automatic in a 2016 Ford Focus 2.0 and my question is: Can I engage the "downhill" button while accelerating? I have discovered that when I do this, the transmission holds each gear a bit longer, resulting is a later, and therefore smoother, shift point. I have only experimented, and it seems to perform well without objection, but am I risking damage to the transmission?

Hi there. You can push the downhill button, but not when accelerating. This will not damage the transmission, but it may damage the brake system. The downhill button function works with your vehicle’s existing braking systems to block you from going past a certain speed while traveling downhill. If your vehicle begins to accelerate past a safe downhill speed, this feature will apply the brakes to help slow down the vehicle.

• I have the regular dual clutch automatic in a 2016 Ford Focus 2.0 and my question is: Can I engage the "downhill" button while accelerating?