Q: Interlock is installed but the car won't start and the ECM is fried. Can the interlock damage the ECM?

I don't know if I really need a new ECM,if the interlock really did effect the ECM or if the guys at big O Tire are not quite sure what's wrong and don't want to tell me.

Hello. Though the shift interlocking system does have an input from the ECM, I have never seen one fail and cause this. Most of the time, this is caused by a bad brake pedal switch or a shift lock solenoid. I usually remove the center console and test the circuit to see what is going on with it. If there is power to the solenoid, then it is bad.

If not, then I go to the brake switch to test it. Typically, if it is not the circuit itself, it is a problem within the body control module. This can also easily be tested with a voltage meter and a scan tool that communicates with this module.

If you need to have this shift interlock issue looked at by someone else, consider one of YourMechanic’s certified technicians, who can come to your home or office to diagnose what is going on with the interlock system and repair it as needed.

• Interlock is installed but the car won't start and the ECM is fried. Can the interlock damage the ECM?