Q: I have a 2000 Ford Contour that is leaking oil. It seems to spray oil upward and downward. Where is the leak coming from?

I have a 2000 Ford Contour that is leaking oil. It seems to spray oil upward and downward. Where is the leak coming from?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. Oil leaks can...

Hello, thanks for writing in. Oil leaks can sometimes be difficult to diagnose if they are coming from a tight or dark area. I would carefully examine the engine, with a flashlight, for any signs of oil leakage, drips, or wetness. A few common sources for oil leaks are valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and valve train seals. I would check to make sure that the oil is topped off, and then move on to trying to locate where the leak is coming from. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.