Good day so i replaced a [timing belt](/topics-timing-bel...

Good day so i replaced a [timing belt](/topics-timing-belt/) on a 2002 hyundai santa fe and was given some bad advice on top dead center and i need some clarification on how to resolve So i have set the engine now at top deac cent...

Good day so i replaced a [timing belt](/topics-timing-belt/) on a 2002 hyundai santa fe and was given some bad advice on top dead center and i need some clarification on how to resolve So i have set the engine now at top deac center on the compression stroke the problem before it was set on the exhaust stroke. Now that i did that the crank pulley lines up fine, piston is at top dead center on compression stroke howevr both cams timing marks are off 180 degrees. note this is on a 2.7 v6 Now what i am wondering is can i just take the belt off rotate the top two cams to the right (front of the car) till they align with timing marks and put it all back together and everything be ok. Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before? Its a new used car to us and we where only changing the timing belt because we were in their to change the water pump Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far? See comments that is the stage where i am at it is sitting with top dead center set on the compression stroke, crankshaft lined up with timing marks and the two camshaft timing marks are off 180 degrees. Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? I think that should be good

Automotive Expert
Hello, so it sounds like you should actually be perfect. The crankshaft will rotate 2 times to every 1 cam rotation, meaning that if i understand you correctly you should be able to rotate the crank one more time and everything should line up properly.

Ok so belt is on their now and confirming that you are saying that I just need to turn crank one more time with belt on and all will be good my concern was it would then affect it not being on tdc anymorethat would be tdc on the compression strokeAre you still there?
Automotive Expert
Yes, when the cams come in time that will then be your compression stroke. So yes one more rotation of the crank and if they all line up you are good to complete the repair! Also to verify the install, start with the cams in time and rotate the crank shaft 2 times and count out 6 compression strokes (you will feel resistance 6 times with the last one being as the crank comes into time at the end of the second rotation).

it is still on compression tdc after another full revolution of crankshaft with them all being tied together by belt
Automotive Expert
As it sits with the cams 180 degrees out it will be on a different cylinder tdc compression stroke and that is totally normal. I hope I am making sense of this for you. Please ask any other questions you have.

Ok so as long as it is normal we are good will rotate one more time and see what happensThank you
Automotive Expert
My please good luck!