Q: The door ajar light won't turn off

asked by on May 23, 2016

The door ajar light keeps turning on while I am driving. It does turn off eventually. I have tested all the solenoid valves on each door by cycling them open/closed, but I cannot get the light to turn off in the first place to test where the problem is. Any tips on where to look?

Hello. On most vehicles, this is caused by the door switch in the latch assembly failing, or by the wiring from the door jamb wearing and breaking from years of use. All of the door panels will need to be removed, and each circuit and switch should be tested to know for sure which one it is.

If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your door light issue and perform the necessary repairs.