Q: How to replace thermostat in a 2000 rodeo

My engine light came on of course two weeks before it was supposed to be inspected. So I got the engine light checked and they said it was a bad thermostat. While it is not overheating I must get my engine light to go off and therefore replace my thermostat I suppose. My question is how easy is the thermostat to get to? Does the intake manifold have to be removed? What are the prices usually charge to add a garage?

Usually the upper radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing. You will want to drain the cooling system first. Then, disconnect the upper radiator hose from the engine side. After that, you will want to remove the bolts from the thermostat housing. Once the bolts are removed, pry the thermostat housing off of the engine with a screwdriver if it is stuck. Once the housing is removed, the thermostat will be accessible. You can simply grab it and pull it out. The installation is reverse of removal with the exception of adding RTV gasket maker or a new thermostat housing gasket to the housing before reinstalling to make sure that no coolant doesn’t leak. If you are in doubt about this repair, I would recommend seeking the assistance of a professional from YourMechanic that can commute to your home or place of business to replace your thermostat.