Q: Hydraulic chain tensioner not working.

i was checking my right side chain tensioner as i had a little rattle, and it seemed stiff enough , not weak, however i lost track of what i was doing and thought i had already put the tensioner back in , i tried to start the engine it did not start, by the time i figured out what happened i saw a puddle of oil, i think the engine did not start because of no oil pressure (right??), anyway i put the hy ch ten back in and the engine would not start, i tried a couple of times , no start, (also i noticed i was getting oil drip around the hy ch ten, this may have been because i had no crush washer) this is basically where i am at the moment, i took the hy ch ten back out and put my finger in the hole and noticed the plastic cassette was loose this time , and the first time if did it before i ever started the engine at all i noticed the cassette was not movable, at this point i do not know if the chain moved when i tried to start the engine and loosened or broke the cassette, or if it jumped

Hi there. If the tensioner was removed, then when the engine cranked over the camshaft would not move causing the piston to come in contact with the valves. Then there would be a serious problem with the engine. Most likely the tensioner was installed but the plastic cassette was missing causing an oil leak. Make sure that all of the ports to the oil galleries are plugged off. If you need further assistance with your engine timing chain, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Hydraulic chain tensioner not working.