Q: Hybrid Cars and Mechanics

I was strongly considering buying a Prius very soon, the 2012 model I listed. I was wondering if I could bring a hybrid car like this Prius, to a regular mechanic. If they would be able to fix it properly if anything occurred, or would I basically be limited to just the dealer? Is there anything particularly wrong with a hybrid/Prius C that makes mechanics want to avoid me? I've had someone close in my family chanting this at me so it is unfortunately making me feel guilty. Thank you for the help!

Hi there. I understand your concern. I’m currently a Toyota/Lexus hybrid certified technician contracted by YourMechanic. In fact, there are several hybrid certified technicians operating with YourMechanic. Any qualified technician can maintain and repair the vehicle with the exception of the hybrid system. The only limitation that you would have is that the hybrid components on the Prius would only be available from the dealer and that your hybrid system should still be under warranty until 100,000 miles. I suggest having one of our technicians perform a pre-purchase inspection for peace of mind on any vehicle you plan on purchasing. Your Mechanic has several hybrid certified technicians available that can assist you with a pre-purchase inspection.

3. Hybrid Cars and Mechanics