Q: How would I know if I need to replace the rotors on my 2016 Mazda 6 sport without removing the tire?

I have a Mazda 2016 Mazda 6 with 30,000 miles without ever replacing the brakes or rotors. They have been squeezing for a few months but only slightly. But now it's getting pretty loud and noticeable every time I brake lightly. I haven't had the money to get them changed and need to use my car. Is there a way to check if I need to get new brake pads and rotors. Or just brake pads. And if I do what tools do I need?

Thank you

Hello. Thank you for writing in. With the age of your vehicle, it is rather unlikely that you would have to replace the rotors already. The brake pads that stop the rotation of the rotors however do likely need to be changed at this point. Most brake pads are designed with a "wear indicator" tab which is designed to squeal when the pads wear down to a certain point. This may be the cause of some of your symptoms. Changing the brake pads can be done at home, and is not terribly complicated. Keep in mind that you will have to bleed the brakes afterwards. This is a process of eliminating any air in the system. Brakes are a huge component when it comes to vehicle safety, and the repair needs to be done by the book. If you are comfortable with these types of repairs, then you will should be able to get the job done with basic tools (tire iron, flat head screwdriver, sockets, brake fluid bleeder kit, and a few others). Changing the brake pads can be done with minimal tools, but with the right tools will be a lot easier.

3. How would I know if I need to replace the rotors on my 2016 Mazda 6 sport without removing the tire?