Q: How to get rust off of my project car?

asked by on November 01, 2016

Alright so I'm buying a 1966 Ford Mustang and it has a lot of rust on some areas I was wounderin how to get all of it of and its under neath should I cut it or what and This is a project car doesn't run all the work is on me I haven't bought it and I don't know if I should
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hey there. This is one of the toughest decisions in starting a classic car restoration project. Rust is relentless. The absolute "best way" to deal with rust is to disassemble the car, have it media blasted, or acid-dipped, then immediately sprayed with an etching primary which arrests rust.

Panel replacement is done before/during the media blast/primer process so all panels old and new are protected. Most of us don’t have access to enough space to do this kind of disassembly and repair. Doing some "spot blasting", and panel replacement in your garage with a cutoff wheel and MIG welder is more typical.

Decide what you want your outcome to really be - concours/show car winner, or daily driver that you’re proud of. Then decide if you have the time, space, access to technical skills and money to get to your desired outcome.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr