Q: Vehicle is getting hot after 10 minutes of driving.

Good day I recently drove my vehicle without the coolant reservoir cap on, I noticed a lot of coolant on the ground. Can driving without the reservoir cap cause the radiator coolant level to be low? I had just had it in the shop, and it was running great before this. Thank you

Kenneth

If you are referring to the metal radiator pressure cap, leaving that cap off will cause coolant loss and overheating. Leaving the plastic cap off of the plastic overflow reservoir may cause coolant loss if the overflow pick-up tube is integral with the cap. If your car is overheating be sure not to drive the car because overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level, a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Vehicle is getting hot after 10 minutes of driving.