Q: Power steering fails while the car is reversing - 2014 Cadillac ATS

asked by on September 03, 2016

I've been having problems with the electric power steering in my car that seem to be increasingly frequent. I went to the dealership but as the problem happens only sporadically, the dealer wasn't able to reproduce it and therefore couldn't fix it. The power steering usually fails when I'm driving in reverse, while backing out of the parking lots or driveway. Most commonly, this occurs when the engine is still cold. I would start going in reverse and in the middle of it, the power steering would just stop working, leaving me with no other option but to turn the car off. After starting the engine back on, the issue disappears. What might cause this?

Wow! It sounds like a glitch in that system. If it has happened to yours, it is extremely likely it has occured to other drivers of their Cadillacs. I’m imagining a very serious sit down meeting with the dealership service manager. This is an enormous safety concern. They must certainly be aware of other instances of this occuring around the country. And they may already have, or be working on, a fix for it. It is important to get this documented with the dealership. In the mean time, if you would like, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your home or office and inspect your power steering and gears.