Q: Smoke from exhaust still after new PCV and turbo

asked by on October 12, 2016

Still got a white or blue smoke from exhaust after turbo failure. Valve seals replaced, PCV replaced, turbo replaced, coolant level has no drop. Head gasket replaced anyway. Have codes P0015 "cam retard" even after PCV dipstick has slight smoke still coming out but has negative pressure with glove test

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I am sure that you have driven your car far enough (since repairs) to rule out residual oil in the exhaust system. The P0015 "cam retard" code may be a cam sensor, oil control solenoid or actuator issue. There is also the possibility of cam timing was set-up incorrectly. The real concern for me is the fact you have some engine blow-by and exhaust smoke. Although, it passes the glove test at idle, it may not pass under load. Check to see if blow-by is present under load. If there is, the possibilities are piston and/or piston sealing rings failure. A retarded exhaust cam could cause blow-by and set codes. The continued exhaust smoke, along with blow-by, leads me to believe lower end issues. Sometimes when cylinder head work is done on an engine with higher mileage, piston rings fail. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.