Q: My car has a cable transmission and it will go in gear when the car is off but once running it will not go in gear

I have a manual cable transmission that will not go in gear when my car is running. But the car will go in gear when it is not running. The cable is moving fine and the clutch is aligned and the pressure plate is torqued to spec.

Hi there. Knowing more about your car, such as the year, make and model is needed in order to provide you with some accurate ideas. In general however, this issue is commonly caused to a slave or master cylinder within the clutch system that causes the difficulty shifting while under power.

• My car has a cable transmission and it will go in gear when the car is off but once running it will not go in gear