Q: Car dies quickly

My car starts and then dies after five seconds.

You may be experiencing the symptoms of a recall campaign that Nissan has out for a faulty positive battery terminal; this condition can cause a hard start, or cause the vehicle to stall unexpectedly. If you are unsure whether this recall has been serviced, you can contact your local Nissan dealer to confirm. If the recall has been serviced, then chances are there is an air/fuel issue.

The first step in diagnosis would be to have codes read out of the engine computer. A faulty throttle motor, loose connection in the induction system ducting, an open purge valve, fuel supply issue, faulty sensor, or faulty engine computer, etc., could all be suspects, so knowing what faults are present will narrow down this list. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to locate the source of the engine stall, and recommend the best path to repair.

3. Car dies quickly