Q: Hey I have a 2000 Cadillac deville and about two weeks ago it started accelerating slow so with the car running I checked the tran

asked by on June 24, 2017

Will a transmission filter keep your vehicle from moving when in gear

The issue is much more likely to be engine related and, if so, can be diagnosed readily by a mobile mechanic with an appropriate real time scanner. With regard to the transmission filter, if the filter were clogged enough to reduce hydraulic pressure in the transmission, the clutches wouldn’t stay engaged and you would have no movement at all rather than no acceleration.

Slow acceleration has a variety of causes. Fuel injectors can become clogged over time as the tiny passages become clogged. When an injector is clogged it can degrade the performance of the vehicle and the car may accelerate slowly or feel that it does not have enough power. Other symptoms include a rough idle, a vehicle that is hard to start and a decrease in fuel efficiency. A defective fuel pump will not supply enough fuel to the injectors. This can cause the vehicle to accelerate slowly, or even sputter and stall, especially at high speeds. A clogged fuel filter can also restrict the amount of fuel that reaches the injectors. A dirty mass airflow sensor can cause the wrong data to be be sent to the computer. A slow accelerating car is the result of this incorrect data. It may also trigger the Check Engine light. Other causes of poor acceleration are vacuum leaks, a defective throttle position sensor and a defective idle air control valve. To get the underlying cause of the problem resolved promptly, you can request an engine diagnostic for slow acceleration. The responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.