Q: How to fixed jumped timing on a 2005 kia optima

asked by on September 12, 2017

Smaller serpentine belt started to shred and pieces got off in my crankshaft. The mechanic never checked replaced the belt and tried to start it. Wouldn't start kept trying until the timing jumped. Cleaned out the shredded belt and now the car barely starts, stalls after 5 secs or whenever foot is on break. Mechanic tells me I have a bent valve that's why it idles poor and stalls. Never did he adjust my timing. Called another mechanic and he said I have to get my camshaft timing done. But im Not sure what I need to do my timing belt is still on as well as my thicker serpentine belt up front. I'm not car repair savy. One job is $70 and the other is $600.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Your engine design is of the "interference" type. That means that if the timing belt was not installed correctly (or breaks when the engine is running) and thus the camshaft(s) turns out of synch with the crankshaft, the valves can get damaged, as well as the pistons. Whether such damage has occurred and, if so, what repairs are required, will depend on the results of an on site diagnostic. In your circumstance, to get this resolved, what I would recommend is that you request a no start diagnostic. If you request that service, a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get your vehicle diagnosed and running properly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr