Q: How often does a 2011 BMW 328i really need to get oil changed? My light has come back on at under 5,000 miles. 2011 BMW 328i

asked by on March 10, 2017

How often does a 2011 BMW 328i really need to get oil changed? My light has come back on at under 5,000 miles. I read different answers online.

Hi - the # of miles between oil and filter changes is perhaps the 2nd longest running discussion since someone said "My car is faster than your car!". Driving conditions: clean air/dusty, freeway/city stop-and-go, long drives vs 3 minute "around the corner", diesel, gas turbocharged, normally aspirated - all of these contribute to how often your oil should be changed. BMW has gone a step further, and used a calculator based on the quantity of fuel used by the engine between changes. If you drive calmly and moderately, your BMW uses less fuel, and the engine is lightly loaded. There is less wear and tear, and less microscopic debris left in the oil to accumulate. If you drive hard, with heavy acceleration and higher speeds, the same amount of fuel is consumed more quickly, and more debris accumulates in the oil more quickly. Right or wrong, this is BMWs philosophy with the "Service Interval" programming. Personally - and I have BMWs - I don’t put my cars on the track, drive a mix of highway and city, and change my oil and filter on the 5K mile increments (easier to remember). My engines go well past 150K without issue. Your mileage will vary!