Q: Need help from a Mechanic: EVAP Purge Valve bill

asked by on August 26, 2016

Have a quick question.. Im emailing a few mechanics I’m from the fort worth area and I took my 2011 Chevy Cruze for a check engine light thats on and it was the Evap Purge Valve Connector it said wiring was broken ok took it said part was around 35 dollars i said cool it should be around 100-150 to install i get a bill back for 250 wow do you think its reasonable or should I fight back .. Seems way to high for a 30 dollar part … Just want to make sure labor is really worth 200 for this

The part is only about $35, so then that leaves about $200 in labor. This labor should be better-explained to you so you know what was done. The labor to replace the purge valve on the engine is only 0.6 hours. That is just over a half hour to replace the valve. If they had to replace the connector and then add 0.5 hours. That is now a total of 1.1 hours. If they add 1.0 hours for the diagnosis, then you are looking at 2.1 hours total. Depending on their labor rate charge per hour then you would have a price. Most shops in Florida where I am at charge about $100 to $115 per hour labor rate. Here it would be about $250 total.