Q: Car runs well, but shuts off after 15 minutes

asked by on September 20, 2016

I have been working on my non-turbo car and after 15 minutes or running, it shuts off. After that, if I wait 15 more minutes, then it starts again and runs great. I have changed the distributor, the ignition coil, and also new cables; however those changes made no difference. I also recently changed the fuel pump because no gas is getting to the engine during the problem. It does run great, but shuts down after only 15 minutes. What suggestions can you give me for my next step to solve my car’s problem?

When it next fails, listen for the fuel pump. If it isn’t running, get your multimeter and follow the electrical power path for the fuel pump: fuses, fuel pump relay, wiring to the pump. Check for voltage on that circuit while trying to start the car as well. Burned contacts in the relay may indicate voltage, but not enough current (amps) to run the pump. For further assistance, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to the site of the car to inspect the stalling issue and have this corrected.