Q: How is the ABS sensor related to the driver side rear axle?

The driver side rear axle let go and I had replaced. When I went to pick up the car I was told the VCS light, brake light, tire pressure light, and ABS lights was on b/c the ABS sensor was not working. I was told I don't need to get fix, as car has a lot of mileage and don't really need anti lock anyway. I didn't really understand until I drove the car and read a little on it. My questions are: would the ABS sensor get damaged from the axle break? Should the mechanic have checked this prior to finishing the job? Is it safe to drive without the ABS working?

The speed sensor is important to all of the systems listed. The tire pressure system in your vehicle is a common basic type system. It uses the ABS sensor to measure the diameter of the tire. A tire with low air pressure will have a different diameter than a properly inflated tire, so the tire pressure light will come on. If the ABS system cannot read the speed of all 4 wheels, then the ABS system will not function. Without it, your brakes will function like normal non-abs equipped brakes. However, the abs system will not be able to "pump" the brakes 15 times per second as it is designed, possible resulting in loss of control on rain / snow-covered roads.