Q: I smell vapor in the car and the car is starting and cutting right off

Started smelling vapor in the car, so I replaced the ac filter. Then I noticed that the evap hose connected to the engine cracked and the I replaced that. I am still smelling vapor in the car and now my car will crank(after holding for a few seconds) but then it will idle down and turn right off. I had a registered code of P-0449 evaporative emissions canister close valve. I'm curios if this will actually casue the car to not drive and what should I be looking to replace. I saw a video online that showed it being located in the rear under the gas tank.

A code for the canister close valve will not cause the engine to not run. What would cause the engine to not run, and may be the cause of the fuel vapor smell in the car, would be a leaking/cracked fuel line, a flooded engine with a weak fuel pump, or a damaged wire harness and hose on the fuel pump. A scope of some type would be helpful to visually inspect for any of these possible causes. There should be an access panel under the rear seat cushion that can be removed and allow a visual inspection of the hoses and wiring on the fuel pump.

If none of these are the cause, then an inspection by a qualified technician is highly recommended due to the hazardous material of gasoline being involved. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with inspecting a smell in the car and provide an estimate and direction of repair.

3. I smell vapor in the car and the car is starting and cutting right off