Q: How do I know if my water pump has went out?

Dealership says that my water pump is out but I don't believe them so I want to know how I can find out if it's out myself

Hello, a coolant pump can fail three different ways: leaking, noise, or low to no flow of coolant.

Leaking would be associated with a loss of coolant and needing to add coolant back into the system. This could also be accompanied by an overheating condition.

A noise would involve the bearing assembly that allows the pump to rotate. This could also eventually lead to an overheating condition

No flow would create overheating of the engine fairly quickly. To test for no or low flow, remove a heater hose and check flow rate should have flow rate of a garden hose.

If you need a second opinion on the car or would like to have an independent technician conduct the water pump replacement for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to perform this service.

3. How do I know if my water pump has went out?