Q: Horn and brake lights not working

The horn and brake lights don't work.

A: Hello. The issues you are having are likely...

Hello. The issues you are having are likely being caused by two separate things, but it is possible that shorted wiring is affecting both. A technician can examine the brake pedal switch, and also test the voltage coming to the horn. The brake pedal switch controls the on and off function of the brake lights. It should make contact with the brake pedal and trigger the brake lights, but over time the switch will loose its ability to make contact.

I also recommend having a technician test the voltage to the horn. If the horn is receiving voltage but not working, the horn itself will be your problem. If it doesn’t receive voltage, the technician would then have to trace the voltage to see where it ends and where it begins. The voltage could be interrupted by a blown fuse, electrical short or faulty horn button. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect for possible electrical problems and make the repairs needed.